Most contact lenses are not designed to be continuously worn. I mean like, well, if you do have a pair, it’s always mandatory to take it off at the end of the day or either throw them out or disinfect them with a solution for the next day’s use.
What you absolutely SHOULDN’T DO is to wear them for six months without removing them. Because if you did, prolly you’re the craziest person alive!
However, this is exactly what one college student in Taiwan did, which resulted to permanent BLINDNESS.
The story goes like this…
For 6 months Lian Kao left her hit lenses in. The thing about hit lenses is that if they’re left in for too long, they can turn as a combative thing for germs that do not like oxygen.
All of that abundant germ attracts microorganisms that feed on a particular germ such as Acanthamoeba. That is what happened in Kao’s case.
Acanthamoeba is a common amoeba that’s customarily submissive to humans. However in Kao’s box a cluster of acanthamoeba was found underneath her hit lenses. And mind you, they’re in countless numbers! Doctor’s suspected that Kao picked the adult acanthamoeba while swimming with her contacts in.
As an acanthamoeba cluster grew, it began to house into Kao’s cornea in hunt of some-more germ to eat. That was when a condition famous as Acanthamoebic keratitis set in.
Acanthamoebic keratitis typically causes some pain and redness. The pain often does not become intense enough to cause people to seek help until the damage is already done. Sometimes corneal transplants can retreat a repairs of Acanthamoebic keratitis. More mostly though, a patients stay blinded since a infection is notoriously daunting to get rid of.
So long. you beautiful eyes!