Carrying a hair tie around the wrist is somehow a common thing a woman does, but what you didn’t know is that simple tie might cost you your life one day.
A young mother from Kentucky knows it pretty well as she has a sickening story to tell. Audree Kopp, a young mom from Louisville, Kentucky shares a horrific experience after wearing a glittery tie around her wrist one day.
What she didn’t know is, the glitter on the tie rubbed an almost invisible scratch on her skin and the bacteria present on that hair tie that penetrated inside her skin. Days later, she noticed a bump in her wrist and little did she know that it was a sign of a life-threatening infection.
Audree then visited a doctor who only gave her antibiotics and said “it was no big deal”, unknowingly that her situation was actually – a big deal. When she woke up the next day, the lump was bigger and painful. So, she immediately went to the ER, where she was rushed to another hospital and into the emergency surgery.
Shockingly, doctors found out Audree was infected with three types of bacteria, and that she barely escapes sepsis, or blood poisoning that she got from a simple – hair tie!
I didn’t believe it at first, I thought that it was a spider bite or something else, not from wearing a hair tie,” exclaimed Audree.
Somehow, the doctors were surprised that the infection hadn’t reached her bones and tendons, but the woman ended up being in the hospital for days. Dr. Amit Gupta, one of an Audree’s medical team, warns that carrying hair ties around your wrist may cause serious infections like this.
Be careful, you can’t put all these hair ties around wrists as they can cause problems with the skin, with infections. If you DO want to wear hair ties on your wrist… make sure they’re the plastic, no slip ones and make sure when washing your hands… you go up your wrist and wash the tie, ” Gupta said.