Stomach aches can be caused by a lot of things, but it usually boils down to what you eat. A man arrived at a hospital in Bathinda, India complaining of an abdominal discomfort and doctors suspected it as an another case of food poisoning or an ulcer.
Yet, to their surprise, when the doctors performed an endoscopy – inserting a long, thin tube with a camera attached to its tip – they found out that the man had swallowed something unpalatable and indigestible.
What Rajpal Singh, 34, failed to mention was that, he had been swallowing 140 coins, 150 nails and a handful of nuts, bolts and batteries over the past 3 years. He had also gulped down screws, nails and magnets.
Apparently, Singh admitted that he had been thru hard times recently. In his depression, he discovered a mad coping mechanism of swallowing coins and other unpalatable objects along with milk or juice.
It took Dr. Gandeep Goyal and his team of 5 doctors, 9 hours to surgically remove those items. Although they removed most of the items, he still needs another operation to remove the remaining objects. They say, “his body is too fragile to sustain another operation now”. Hence, the other surgery is scheduled to take place next week.
Due to family problems, I got slipped into depression and got hooked onto this weird habit. I feel much more relax now. I am never going to do this again.”
via The Daily Mail