Maria Layton, a 43 year-old motherof two from Bristol, U.K., recently discovered something truly disgusting living inside her store-bought bananas from Tesco. The bananas were infested with the eight-legged Brazilian Wandering Spiders.
These Brazilian Wandering Spiders, also known as, Banana Spiders whose Greek name is “murderess”, are considered the world’s most dangerous spider. They are aggressive and venomous spiders which can lead to death and serious injury – including a painful four-hour erection.
My husband bought the bananas from Tesco, they had been in the house a whole day before I ripped the bag open. Siri (her daughter) asked for a banana. The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon.
There was a spider web on the other bananas too. I was so scared. I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but I have read about Brazilan Wandering Spiders and was very frightened about the potential threat to my family. The spider cocoon started to unfurl so I put it in a sealed box and put it in the freezer as I read that, that is supposed to kill them.”
Maria immediately called Tesco customer services who told her to take them back to the shop she bought them from. However, when questioned if Tesco have a responsibility to the customer to send a pest control expert out to the house, a spokesperson from their customer service department said,
Our policy is for the customer to take the product back to the store where it can be investigated. We don’t have a service whereby someone can go out to the home.”
After knowing all these, we are so not going to eat bananas ever again!