Parents Discovered Responsible For Their Child’s Meningitis

A Canadian court has charged two parents of failing to find suitable medical attention for their son, who died of meningitis that individuals could be immunized against using a vaccination.

Parents Discovered Responsible For Their Child's Meningitis

David Stephan and Collet Stephan from Alberta, Canada, were found responsible under Section 215 of the Criminal Code, “failing to provide the necessaries of life,” that the maximum sentence in jail is five years.

Their 19-month old son named, Ezekiel, died in after struggling with bacterial meningitis. The couple argued that they believed Ezekiel had influenza or croup. But instead of getting him to a clinic or to a registered physician, they handled him with just fruit- and vegetable-based home remedies and a product from a “naturopathic doctor.” A post-mortem of the toddler confirmed he had contracted bacterial meningitis. 

After getting stress from the number of Canadian physicians to do this action, the “naturopathic doctor” can also be being investigated by specialists on her part on the child’s demise, as Canada’s National Post have stated.

Parents Discovered Responsible For Their Child's Meningitis

The prosecutor, Lisa Weich, explained the situation as “extremely unfortunate,” CBC Calgary reports.

What we hope that the public and the community take away from this particular trial and the verdict in this trial is that all parents are held to a minimum standard of care that all children should expect at all times. They definitely, definitely loved their son, but as stated in our closing argument and even in our opening arguments, unfortunately, sometimes love just isn’t enough. Parents still have to follow the standard of care that is set by the criminal law.” Weich said.

x
Please "like" us: