A bodybuilder who pumped his body full of a toxic potion almost had his arms amputated after his quest to look like the Incredible Hulk – backfired.
Brazilian gym-goer Romario Dos Santos Alves, injected a cocktail of oil, alcohol and painkillers – known as synthol – into his biceps in a wish to bulk up. The shocking results are clear to see, with the 25-year-old’s bulging arms swelling to 25 inches after abusing the implant fluid.
Doctors warned the fitness fanatic that he might lose his arms after the potent mix began to solidify inside his body.
Mr Alves said his obsession with gaining muscle started three years ago after moving to Goiania from his hometown, Caldas Novas. He said he could scare children with his swollen arms and kids used to call him a “monster”.
If you take it once there will definitely be a second time – it’s addictive,” he said.
The kind of needles used on bulls – there are no stronger needles around – I know it seems stupid but I had to get my synthol fix,” he said.
He said he even tricked his wife into injecting the substance into hard-to-reach places after convincing her that the potion left the body shortly after it was injected. But spouse Marisangela Marinho, 22, threatened to leave him if he continued to use the oil.
She told me that if I start using synthol again or anything like it she will leave me because of what she went through. That was the hardest part of our life because I had depression and I was kicked out from my job because I tried to kill myself,” he said.
I was hospitalised in a clinic and my wife was six months pregnant – it was just me and her, no friends or family. I decided to fix my ways and I never again wanted to take any drugs, we went through a really hard time and almost starved.”
The doctors treating Mr Alves initially thought they would have to amputate his arms, but later realised they could remove the rock-like muscles.
My wife was crying when I left at 5am to go to the hospital for the procedure. I remember the doctor told me that they would need to amputate both arms. They said everything in there, all my muscles, were rock. It was either that or cut all of my muscles out.
And then thank God the doctor told me that they did not have to amputate – they could instead remove the synthol rocks which had formed in my arms. I want other people to see the dangers, I could have died all because I wanted bigger muscles. It’s just not worth it.”
via Oddity Central