A 7-month-old baby girl was taken to the hospital by concerned parents after her lower left jaw swelled up to the size of a golf ball with a pimple on top.At first, the couple thought it was just an itchy rash on Mya’s jaw but they got worried when the tiny lump gets bigger and bigger.
Simple infection, this was the initial diagnostic of the doctors to the baby’s swelling but it didn’t take them long to realize that it was something out of the ordinary. Days later, Mya’s parents and the doctors were shocked when they discovered a two-inch-long black feather had got lodged underneath Mya Whittington’s skin.
The two-inch-long black feather lodged underneath the baby’s skin had caused the swelling that reports say Mya got after she accidentally inhaled the feather, then pierced the inside of her cheek. And the natural reaction of the baby’s body to foreign object kicked in forcing it out, the only way the feather could get out.
She’s been pulling on the left side of her face for a couple of months,” Emma said, as she was just suspected it as teething or an ear infection.
From then on, Mya’s pediatrician put on a pair of gloves and plucked the feather from the swollen area of the child’s neck.
The Whittingtons’ doctor indicated the swelling had to be causing an immense amount of pain and that Mya’s ordeal isn’t over yet, as the swollen area has a hard knot in it about four centimeters in size. If the knot doesn’t break up on its own, Mya is headed for surgery in Wichita to remove it.