This 26 year-old man from Florida died on June 16 after contracting flesh-eating bacteria, but the state health department has yet to issue a warning, his family claims.
According to Fox News, Cason Yeager, of Lake County, Florida, contracted vibrio vulnificus after swimming about two miles south of Pine Island Beach. They were swimming in waist-deep water when her son picked up the Vibrio Vulnificus bacteria.
Vibrio vulnificus, a bacterium that lives in warm salt water, can be transmitted through contaminated seafood or an open wound exposed to seawater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This bacteria is in the same family as those that cause cholera, and normally lives in warm seawater.
It can be transmitted through eating raw or undercooked shellfish, or can infect people who have an open wound that is exposed to seawater. Doctors report that the rare but underreported bacteria can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
When it enters the body through an open wound, it can cause an infection of the skin, leading to skin breakdown and ulceration. Wound infections have a mortality rate of around 25 per cent, while ingestion can push the mortality rate up to 50 per cent. The majority of its victims die in the first 48 hours.
This has been a nightmare for me! Let me tell you, and nobody should have to go through this. The doctors worked on him for about 45 minutes and they could not bring him back,” said Karen Yeager, Cason’s mom.
I’m not telling anyone don’t go into the water just do your due diligence and make sure that you’re not going to harm yourself,” she added.