A woman in Florida was temporarily blinded in one eye after her friend accidentally handed her a bottle of glue instead of her eye drops!
Reports said that the freaky accident occurred last week, when the 28-year-old, Katherine Gaydos, and her friend were clearing dry leaves at her West Palm Beach property. They were using a leaf blower when a small piece of debris got into Katherine’s eye. She then asked her friend to hand her a bottle of Visine from her handbag, but the woman mistakenly reached for a fingernail glue instead.
Katherine said she realized the error as soon as she squeezed a drop of glue into her eye. The sticky substance made her eye burn and she knew something was terribly wrong.
And although she got to the doctor’s as fast as she could, the nightmare had just started. She was told that she’d need surgery and may lose her eyesight permanently.
News reports say that doctors was able to temporarily pry her eye open and apply anesthetic to her eyelids, however, Katherine didn’t have money to pay for the complete treatment right away, and later reported that her eyes have still been ‘unstuck’.
As weird and freaky Katherine’s case may sound, eye doctors say that people often mistake glue for eye drops.
According to, Dr. Pankaj Gupta, assistant professor of ophthalmology at Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, he often sees patients who’ve accidentally glued their eyes shut. He explained that the treatment is mostly a simple one.
The first thing I think everyone needs to know is not to panic. The eye cells will slough off and eventually loosen the grip of superglue. There is not a single thing that is permanent that will not slough off on its own. In time it will go away.”