Young Girl’s Leg Rots After Being Bitten By A Snake

A 13-year-old girl has apparently been left with a horrifically blackened and shriveled leg after a snake bite caused her muscle cells to wither and die.

Young Girl's Leg Rots After Being Bitten By A SnakeThe bite caused a laceration to an artery in her leg, resulting to a condition called compartment syndrome where the compartment pressure rises and blood flow to the tissues is prevented. If the tissue damage is severe, it could result to a loss of a body function, part or even death.

According to reports, the unidentified Venezuelan teen was originally treated by traditional remedies until she was finally brought to a clinic in the capital a month later.

Young Girl's Leg Rots After Being Bitten By A SnakeBy this time she had developed a severe case of necrosis which in turn has led to a condition called rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle tissue that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents into the blood. These substances are harmful to the kidneys that would often lead to kidney damage. Coupled with low blood pressure, this may then lead to death.

According to Dr Arun Ghosh, the girl will definitely need to have the leg amputated and could still possibly die from the snake bite.

The whole lower leg is black, it’s spreading up. Looking at the rest of her body she’s showing signs of muscle wastage from the poison. Her other leg is thin. It’s likely she will still die,” Ghosh explained.

Young Girl's Leg Rots After Being Bitten By A SnakeIt is apparent that the girl was not given any treatment for the snake bite right after she was bitten because if she was, she can still have her leg by now.

It is important that she must have been given an anti-venom treatment in order to prevent the venom from spreading. Delays and neglect will cost her leg and her life if the spread will not be controlled.

x
Please "like" us: